Bibliography of books, websites, and other miscellanea I encountered during research for my debut novel Serpent on a Cross, which I’m hoping will draw the avid attention and interest of an agent and publishing company in the very near future. This is by no means an exhaustive list, merely a sampling of my research.
Enjoy and feel free to ask questions or leave comments about my process or any of the information listed herein.
- Anton, Maggie. Rashi’s Daughters, Book I: Joheved: A Novel of Love and the Talmud in Medieval France. New York: Penguin Group (USA), 2007
- Cohn-Sherbock, Rabbi Dan & Lavinia Cohn-Sherbok. Jewish & Christian Mysticism: An Introduction. New York: The Continuum Publishing Company, 1994
- Cornwell, Bernard. The Archer’s Tale. New York: HarperCollins Publishers, 2005
- Dennis, Rabbi Geoffrey W. The Encyclopedia of Jewish Myth, Magic and Mysticism. New York: Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd., 2007
- Gabriel, Ingrid. Herb Identifier & Handbook. New York: Sterling Publishing Co., Inc., 1979
- Gordon, Noah. The Physician. Little, Brown Book Group, 2001
- Grossman, Avraham. Pious and Rebellious: Jewish Women in Medieval Europe. New York: Brandeis University Press, 2004
- Holland, Cecelia. The King’s Witch. Penguin, 2011
- Langer, Lawrence N. Historical Dictionary of Medieval Russia. Maryland and London: The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 2002
- Learner, Tobsha. The Witch of Cologne. New York: Forge, 2003
- Martin, Janet. Medieval Russia 980-1584. Cambridge University Press, 2007
- Nossov, Konstantin S. Medieval Russian Fortresses: AD 862-1480. New York: Osprey Publishing, 2007
- Trachtenberg, Joshua. Jewish Magic and Superstition: A Study in Folk Religion. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2004
- Von Bingen, Hildegard. Hildegard’s Healing Plants: From Her Medieval Classic Physica. Beacon, 2002